If you’ve ever inserted a ring-shaped, insertable birth control or a diaphragm, it is quite similar and just as easy. (But it’s equally important to note that FLEX is not a contraceptive and does not protect against sexually transmitted infections).
- Wash your hands and sit over the toilet.
- Pinch FLEX in half and begin inserting it into the vaginal canal, making sure you are pushing the edge that goes in first DOWN toward the floor so that it sits at an angle and fully covers the cervix.
- Push a little further and tuck the rim above your pubic bone. Make sure it's pushed past the pubic bone as far as it can go.
- If it starts to leak, just take it out and try it again (practice makes perfect). Or shoot us an e-mail to email@example.com and we can help you out.
Here are a few more tips on insertion that we've found can help:
- Some women find that being in a squatting position, or standing with a foot elevated on the toilet seat/edge of the tub, is more helpful for insertion as they find it easier to feel their pubic bone and push the rim up. We have also heard from customers that doing a kegel-like muscle movement while inserting can be helpful for placement.
- Know that leakage while using the bathroom is normal. FLEX will push part way out when you relax your pelvic floor, but pops right back into place when you're done. If it feels like it hasn't gone back into place, just use a clean finger and push it back up behind the pubic bone.
- Relax. Making sure your muscles aren't tense will help with removing FLEX swiftly and comfortably. So relax. You got this!
- Sit over the toilet and bear down on pelvic floor. The sensation will sort of be like that of pooping (don't worry - you won't actually poop). This will help pop FLEX out from behind the pubic bone.
- With a clean finger, hook FLEX from under black rim in "come here" motion (or "come hither" if that's more your style) and pull - be sure to keep FLEX horizontal to the floor to prevent any spillage.
- Place FLEX in wrapper and dispose
And here are some pro tips for removal:
- While removing FLEX shouldn't be too messy to begin with, removing FLEX in the shower at the end (or beginning!) of your day can help prevent any mess at all.
If you're still not totally getting it or want to see a different visual, check out this 3D animation:
(P.S The finger looks like a penis. We get it. But phallic shaped imagery aside, this video really helps a lot of people!)