- Wash your hands. Always wash your hands before insertion and removal.
- Find a position to insert your disc. Some sit over the toilet, some stand with a leg elevated, some insert in a full squat. Play around until you find a position that works best for you!
- Pinch FLEX in half and begin inserting it into the vaginal canal, making sure you are pushing the edge that goes in first down toward the floor so that it sits at an angle and fully covers the cervix. Down and back is key!
- Tuck the rim above your pubic bone. Make sure it's pushed past the pubic bone as far as it can go.
- You shouldn't be able to feel the disc. If you're uncomfortable, just take it out and try it again (practice makes perfect). Or shoot us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you out.
Here are a few more tips on insertion that we've found can help:
- Some women find that being in a squatting position, or standing with a foot elevated on the toilet seat/edge of the tub, is more helpful for insertion as they find it easier to feel their pubic bone and push the rim up. We have also heard from customers that doing a kegel-like muscle movement while inserting can be helpful for placement.
- Know that leakage while using the bathroom is normal. FLEX will push part way out when you relax your pelvic floor, but pops right back into place when you're done. If it feels like it hasn't gone back into place, just use a clean finger and push it back up behind the pubic bone. You can also do a kegel afterwards instead!
- Relax. Making sure your muscles aren't tense will help with removing FLEX swiftly and comfortably. So take a couple of deep breaths and relax. You got this!
- Sit over the toilet and bear down on pelvic floor. The sensation will sort of be like that of pooping (don't worry - you won't actually poop). This will help pop FLEX out from behind the pubic bone and move FLEX closer for you to reach.
- With a clean finger, hook FLEX from under black rim in "come here" motion (or "come hither" if that's more your style) and pull - be sure to keep FLEX horizontal to the floor to prevent any spillage.
- Dump the contents of FLEX into the toilet and place FLEX in wrapper and dispose.
And here are some pro tips for removal:
- While removing FLEX shouldn't be too messy to begin with, removing FLEX in the shower at the end (or beginning!) of your day can help prevent any mess at all.
- Go sloooooowwwww. Slow + steady is the way to go! Keep the disc parallel to the ground to help minimize mess.
If you're still not totally getting it or want to see a different visual, check out this 3D animation: